What sort of help does the Postdoctoral Fellowships system provide?
Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the most extremely promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their jobs. The fellowships will also be designed to secure a way to obtain very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research skills for Canadian industry, federal government and organizations.
Will you be qualified to receive a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, as of the deadline date regarding the 12 months where you use, you have to:
- be described as A canadian citizen or even a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to put on a doctorate in another of the industries of research that NSERC supports.
- You can easily use only one time towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per 12 months to 1 granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or perhaps the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You mustn’t have previously gotten a postdoctoral honor (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You really need to have finished all needs of the degree that is doctoral no than couple of years ahead of the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on the transcript, but alternatively the date on which all of the needs of real latin brides free the level were met, like the defence that is successful distribution of this corrected copy of the thesis. For candidates with increased than one doctoral level, the conclusion date of one’s newest doctoral level are utilized to ascertain your eligibility.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job considerably interrupted because of disease or health-related household duties, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- For those who have completed a non-research based medical residency program when you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within couple of years following a date of completion of one’s PhD, you’d your job notably interrupted due to parental, medical and/or family-related duties, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you then become the main caregiver after the delivery or use of a kid, NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any such distribution to NSERC will simply be utilised by staff to assess your eligibility towards the system. Then you may do so in the Special Circumstances section of the application if you wish to inform the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that may have affected your performance and/or productivity.
Where could you hold your fellowship?
You’ll hold your PDF at:
- Canadian institutions
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other appropriate research laboratories in Canada
- organizations and research institutions abroad
You simply can’t hold a PDF in Canadian federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research which involves collaboration with other Canadian businesses. The character for the collaboration that is proposed be appropriate towards the host organization.
- You could hold a PDF abroad only when you’ve got gotten your doctorate from the institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of research that is different. You’re not allowed to put on your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research institutions as well as other laboratories) in which you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you might request an exclusion which will be considered by the selection committee. The demand must certanly be centered on medical reasons (for instance, proximity to required health care facilities), household reasons (for instance, a partner’s profession) or clinical reasons (for instance, accessibility to specific gear), which will make it exceptionally hard for you really to keep an institution that is particular. Regardless if your exclusion is issued, you aren’t allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You will be motivated to incorporate a location that is alternate your PDF in case your request an exclusion just isn’t authorized.
- You might perhaps not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, just because your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may influence your residency status in Canada. You could need to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or a proper specialist for advice.
How will you use?
You are able to submit an application for a PDF by finishing and submitting Form 201, attaching supporting documents if required. See the guidelines on the best way to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 17. Incomplete applications would be refused.
Apart from individual email address, NSERC will likely not accept any modifications or updates to the job after it’s been submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by delivering a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in line with the selection criteria described within the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products. Remember that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing priority that is award meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a female, if adequate funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in line with the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see range of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application shall figure out the choice committee when the application is going to be assessed. NSERC may designate the applying to a committee that is different it determines that the subject matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard from the risk of unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases depend on a approach, fundamental versus applied research, specific sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including rising ones), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets of this applicant.
NSERC is functioning on evidence that equity, variety and inclusion bolster the systematic and engineering communities therefore the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 into the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and addition in the application to learn more.
In planning their application, applicants should consult the choice requirements and indicators area and Appendix an associated with the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools which offers helpful home elevators exactly what committee people look out for in evaluating applications. Candidates must also read the guidelines for doing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are assessed and chosen in accordance with:
- Analysis ability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of decision
NSERC will alert all candidates regarding the outcomes because of the end of January. NSERC will likely not offer outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (as well as other fundamental information that is award of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To learn more, look at use of Ideas Act in addition to Privacy Act.
Conditions associated with the honor
Reference the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the prize, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental keeping the prize on a part-time foundation, etc.